BioXmark® is a liquid ready-to-inject fiducial marker visible on X-ray, CBCT, CT, MRI and ultrasonography.
It is provided as a sterile, transparent solution in ampoules containing 1mL each. It has a low initial viscosity. Once injected into soft tissue, a highly viscous fiducial marker is formed.
BioXmark® has a range of appealing properties compared to metal based markers currently used in the clinic:
- Injected with no change in current equipment or procedures
- Can be injected using thin needles (≤25G) either percutaneously or using an endoscope assisted injection method (EUS, EBUS etc.)
- The size of the marker can be controlled based on the injection volume
- Numerous markers in one ampoule. Visible on CBCT at volume of 10µL and larger
- Visible in all relevant imaging modalities (X-ray, CBCT, CT, MRI and ultrasonography)
- No sharp edges and glue-like character limits migration
- Low degree of beam hardening artifacts compared to metal based fiducial markers despite providing approximately 1,000HU of contrast
- Very low Z-value and hence low impact on dose perturbation, making it an ideal fiducial marker for proton therapy
- Slow biodegradation with no relevant change of size during the first 3 months after injection
CT image: 100µL BioXmark® inserted in esophageal tumor. Clinical trial 310-02 (Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen)
The properties of BioXmark® has been verified in both animal models and in clinical trials.